When I initially began dialysis, my life was extremely difficult as I was always under tremendous stress for managing fluid balance. I was constantly facing problems of breathlessness, raised BP and swelling in legs. Initially, limiting weight gain was highly challenging.Thereafter, I was sent for counseling to a dietician who helped me almost memorize all the rules for limiting fluid intake.
- Always bottle up the prescribed amount of water and avoid exceeding that limit.
- Weigh yourself daily and check your feet daily for swelling, if you find swelling, stop intake of all liquids.
- Keep your salt intake to minimum. Take salt only in recipes which cannot be eaten without salt, example gravies, dals, pulses, etc.
- Take saltless rotis, parathas, etc.
- If you feel breathless, immediately call up your dialysis staff and ask if you can preponed your dialysis.
Thanks to dialysis, I have got a new lease of life and a new purpose in life making it more meaningful & interesting & all this with regular dialysis, little medication and some dietary restriction. Small efforts but BIG REWARDS.